Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Patrick's Day!

Out of curiosity, I googled "St. Patrick". I mean, where did all of this "Kiss Me I'm Irsih" and green beer celebration come from. It's so random.

Turns out...St. Patrick was a pretty neat guy. His story is very similar to Paul's. Patrick was born in the year 373 in a town on the River Clyde in Roman Britain, now a part of Scotland. When he was sixteen years old, Patrick was captured by a band of pirates who sold him to a chieftain in Northern Ireland. For six years he tended flocks. In his testimony he says, “I was taken captive before I knew what I should desire and what I should shun.” It was during the time of his captivity that he came to a saving knowledge of Christ Jesus.

Years later, like the Apostle Paul, he received a clear and personal call from the Lord to preach the Gospel in the land of where he had once been held captive...Ireland.

He said, "I did not go to Ireland of my own accord. not until I had nearly perished; but this was rather for my good, for thus was I purged by the Lord; and He made me fit so that I might be now what was once far from me that I should care and labour for the salvation of others, whereas then I did not even care about myself."

The story of St. Partrick is a beautiful story about transformation and sacrifice. Click Here to read more.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

the boys have a veggie tales dvd about this!
It's pretty sad how this is just another "holiday" that our culture has transformed into something totally not what it was intended to be!
Doubt St.Patrick would feel very honored to know St. Patricks day is an excuse for many to drink green beer and get wasted! ha!